Thursday, May 29, 2008

Tomorrow

Tomorrow I'm going to Vancouver for the day. I don't know if I'll have any time to check out any fun stuff as this trip has a rather specific (and fairly hushhush) purpose. I'm really just hoping not to get lost. Ah, the wonders of learning a new place and its eccentric transit system. I'm sure it makes perfect sense once you've done it once. Me? I'm used to Toronto. I knew Toronto. Everything was on a nice little grid and I knew which came before what. The same things I chose the west coast for are the things that make me a little batty when it comes to trying to get around the west coast. I mean, really, if the street ends, would it kill ya to name the street that starts in the same place only three streets over something different? It would certainly help to minimize the amount of standing around, looking confused that I do. Just sayin.

My package o'sundry items that I either forgot or that refused to fit within my 50lb weight requirement on the flight arrived from Toronto yesterday. Who knew I'd be so overjoyed to have my watch back? Along with a bunch of other stuff, I finally laid hands on my copy of the Summer IK. I have to say that I agree with several others who commented that the attractiveness of at least a few of the patterns was better appreciated in print than in the online preview. (Also, the person who selected the cover photo may want to watch their back. If I were that model, I would not be pleased that they picked the shot in which my eyes were closed. Anyway.) I still thought the fair majority fell squarely within the category of "I would never wear that in a million years, even if you paid me." It takes all sorts though, I suppose.

I am willing to freely admit that I am rather particular about the fit of knitwear. I am a product knitter and will rip and redo until I get something that's flattering. Unless it fits well, I won't wear it, so it won't matter how fabulous this or that technique is. That's a big problem with a lot of what I see these days. The ideas are great, but the finished garment ends up hanging on the model like a paper sack. Now put that on a woman with my proportions and you've got a good chance at ending smack dab in the middle of a wardrobe malfunction of epic proportions. Now, I'm by no means calling myself plus size, but I do have an above average chest and hips to balance it out. I don't need something that makes me look like a big ol' blob. I like a garment to define my waist without making me look like a 10-cent...well, you get the drift. Perhaps we knitters have gotten too complacent and are expecting knitwear designers to take us by the hand too often. Perhaps what really needs to happen is a massive push towards truly understanding garment construction at a level that allows us to adjust patterns so that we end up with something that fits our unique bodies. I dunno. It's sort of a chicken-and-egg thing, y'know?

In any case, I, like half the knitting universe, also have every intention of knitting the lacey hoodie and perhaps one or two other things from the issue, but as a whole, was pretty disappointed with the pattern selection. The articles, on the other hand, were leagues improved and I was surprised to find myself actually reading them. Shocking. I know.

On that note, I'm going to close here so I can go run some errands and find eleventy-billion quarters in order to ensure my ability to pay various bus fares tomorrow. If anybody has any suggestions on resources for learning about garment shaping in knitting, please let me know in the comments. Please keep in mind: I am a visual learner and broad theoretical discussion just doesn't do it for me.

Y'all have yourselves a fantastic Thursday!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home